As the capital 1000 years old have a long history, traditional culture and rich diversity, Hanoi is really an ideal destination to discover the cultural sites have linked to this ancient capital .5 site below is one of many good places for you to explore Hanoi – the hero capital in Vietnam.
1. Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum
The Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum (Vietnamese: Lăng Chủ tịch Hồ Chí Minh) is a large memorial to the Vietnamese leader in Hanoi, Vietnam. It is located in the center of Ba Ðình Square, which is the place where Ho Chi Minh president read the Declaration of Independence on September 2, 1945, establishing the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.
Construction work began on September 2, 1973 and the structure was formally inaugurated on August 29, 1975. The exterior is made of gray granite, while the interior is gray, black, and red polished stone. The mausoleum’s portico has the words “Chủ tịch Hồ Chí Minh” inscribed across it, meaning “President Ho Chi Minh”.
The structure is 21.6 metres high and 41.2 metres wide. Flanking the mausoleum are two platforms with seven steps for parade viewing. The plaza in front of the mausoleum is divided into 240 green squares separated by pathways. The gardens surrounding the mausoleum have nearly 250 different species of plants and flowers, all from different regions of Vietnam.
Ho Chi Minh’s body is preserved in the cooled, central hall of the mausoleum, with a military honor guard. The body lies in a glass case with dim lights. The mausoleum is closed occasionally for restoration and preservation work on the body but is normally open daily from 9:00 am to noon to the public. Lines of visitors, including visiting foreign dignitaries, pay their respects at the mausoleum.
Rules regarding dress and behavior are strictly enforced by staff and guards. Legs must be covered (no shorts or miniskirts). Visitors must be silent, and walk in two lines. Smoking, photography, and video taping are also not permitted anywhere inside the mausoleum.
Adress: 2 Ong Ich Khiem St, Ba Dinh distric, Ha Noi
2. Hoa Lo Prison
Hoa Lo prison is located on the street of the same name. The French colonialists use Hoa Lo to imprison many patriots and communist prisoners. After peace was established (1954), this site was use by the Vietnamese government as a jail for criminal prisoners.
In 1993, Hoa Lo Prison was moved to the suburbs of Hanoi and a commercial center was built in this area. One building at the front and the gate of the prison were kept as a historical site (museum). Inside, you can find some photographs as well as a guillotine used to carry out the death sentences of revolutionary soldiers. It was also a place to keep American Pilots during the anti-US war in the North (John McCain,P.Peterson,…).
The Museum is open daily, except Monday , from 8am to 11:30am and 1.30pm to 4.30pm.
Fee: 20.000VND/pers or 1$/pers
Adress: 1 Hoa Lo St, Hoan Kiem distric, Ha Noi
3. Flag Tower in Hanoi
Built in 1812 under the reign of King Gia Long, the Flag Tower is one of the few constructions in the Hanoi Citadel, which have survived almost intact after the war. It now lies within the History Military Museum compound.
The Flag Tower conssists of three layers of bases and one tower. The pyramid-shaped bases are tiled with bricks. The first layer is 170m in perimeter and 3.1m height. It has two brick staircases. Each side of the second storey is 27 m long and 3.7m high. There are four doors at this level. On the eastern-looking door are two old Chinese characters meaning “welcoming sunrise”, on the the western-looking one, “reflection of light”, and on the southern-looking one, “looking toward the light”. Only the northern-looking door has no old Chinese characters. Each side of the third storey is 12.8m long and 5.1m high. The door leads to the staircase that turns to the north. The body of the flag tower lies on this storey. It is an eight-side cylinder in 2m in length. Inside of it is a 54-step spiral staircase leading to the top. For ventilation and light, there are four or five asterisk-shaped holes on each of the eight sides. On the highest location of each side is a sector-shaped hole
The top of the flag tower takes the shape of an eight-sided room that is 3.3m in height. In the middle of the room is a round column, 1.4m in diameter. The roof of the room is where the flag is installed. So, the entire structure is 33.4m high, or 41m high if the pole used for holding the flag is included.
Adress: Dien Bien Phu St, Ba Dinh distric, Ha Noi.
4. Temple of Literature Hanoi
Quoc Tu Giam is the Vietnam’s first university; it was established here in 1076 to educate the sons of mandarins. In 1484 Emperor Le Thanh Tong ordered that stelae be erected in the temple premises recording the names, places of birth and achievements of men who received doctorates in each triennial examination, commencing in 1442. Though 116 examinations were held between 1442 and 1778, when the practice was discontinued, only 82 stelae are extant. In 1802 Emperor Gia Long transferred the National University to his new capital, Hue; major renovations were carried out here in 1920 and 1956.
The best feature of the site is perhaps its peaceful and gorgeous settings with nicely maintained lawns, gardens and lotus ponds. There are 3 gates at the entrance: according to Confucian thought, the main gate was used by the King, the other two smaller ones used by mandarins, candidates and lower ranking people. This shows respect for the King and humility and patience the other side.
The complex, which is 350m by 70m, is bounded by Pho Nguyen Thai Hoc, Pho Ton Duc Thang, Pho Quoc Tu Giam and Pho Van Mieu. Enter from Pho Quoc Tu Giam. It is open Tuesday to Sunday from 7.30 to 18.00 (8 am to 5 pm from November to March); the entrance fee is 12,000d (US$0.85).
5. Tran Quoc Pagoda
Built on a southern peninsula of West Lake, Tran Quoc Pagoda is one of the oldest pagodas in Hanoi. Since its construction in the sixth century, it was moved several times and given different names. This pagoda is cultural symbol of Vietnamese Buddhism. From Tran Quoc pagoda you could take a leisurely walk to the nearby Quan Thanh temple, West lake and Truc Bach lake.
Tran Quoc pagoda was built in 541 and completed in 545 under the reign of King Ly Nam De with the original name is Khai Quoc (Founding Nation). It was first set on the bank of Red river (where the Red river and the West lake met).
In the seventeenth century, because of the crumbling dike, the pagoda was moved to Kim Ngu (Golden Fish) islet as what you see nowadays.
Visiting Tran Quoc pagoda travelers have a chance to enjoy intricate architecture in the harmony of surrounding green trees, emerald lake, forming a beautiful landscape.
The architecture is the result of the current major restoration that took place in 1815. It includes porch, main altar, common room, ancestors room, tomb towers …
The large brick tower is 6 sided and symbolizes the recent stages of the life of Buddha with 11 floors and 66 statues of Buddha. The beautiful island is reflected on green water of West Lake. The best time to visit the Pagoda is in a romantic sunset.
Adress: Thanh Nien St, Ho Tay distric, Ha Noi